By Maltego Technologies
Shodan Tranforms for Maltego
Shodan is a search engine for Internet-connected devices. Shodan gathers information about all devices directly connected to the Internet. If a device is directly hooked up to the Internet, then Shodan queries it for various publicly available information. The types of devices that are indexed can vary tremendously: ranging from small desktops up to nuclear power plants and everything in between It goes beyond what the traditional web search engines can provide. Shodan crawls the Internet whereas traditional search engines crawl the World Wide Web. The devices powering the World Wide Web only make up a tiny fraction of what’s actually connected to the Internet. Shodan aims to provide a complete picture of the Internet.
Shodan indexes data taken from banners, which are metadata about a software that is running on a device. This can be information about the server software, what options the service supports, a welcome message, or anything else that the client would like to know before interacting with the server.
Shodan has servers located around the world that crawl the Internet 24/7 to provide the latest Internet intelligence. With the massive number of devices connected to the internet, it is an effective search engine not only for servers and networks, but for the whole Internet of Things (IoT), from unsecured webcams and routers, to SCADA control systems, traffic lights, and hospital equipment.
Cyber investigations often need to go beyond what is traditionally considered “infrastructure” to paint a fuller picture of the types of risks a system might be exposed to. This is precisely where Shodan is an invaluable source of insight and information.
With Maltego Transforms for Shodan, investigators gain access to intelligence about global IoT and infrastructure data in their investigative workflows within Maltego. The Transforms can be used with all tiers of Shodan API keys.
- Network Security: keep an eye on all devices at your company that are facing the Internet
- Market Research: find out which products people are using in the real-world
- Cyber Risk: include the online exposure of your vendors as a risk metric
- Internet of Things: track the growing usage of smart devices
- Tracking Ransomeware: measure how many devices have been impacted by ransomware
- Pivot across other disparate data sources available on the Transform Hub and gain a more comprehensive perspective in investigations all under one single UI
Typical Users of This Data
- Law enforcement agencies (LEAs)
- Penetration Testers
- Security Professionals
Pricing & Access
Pricing Tier: Free Trial
Transform Hub Type: Commercial Hub and Community Hub
Requirements: For full solution access, Maltego One, Classic or XL license and Shodan API subscription
Access: There are two ways to access Shodan Hub Item
1. Free Trial: Register for a free API key here, then simply download the Shodan Hub Item on Maltego Client and enter your trial key to start using Shodan data on Maltego.
2. Bring your own key: If you are already an existing customer of Shodan, then simply download the Shodan Hub Item on the Maltego Client and enter the paid API key to start using Shodan data on Maltego.
For sales inquiry or to purchase an API key, kindly reach out to Maltego using the form below.
Reach out to us to learn more about this data integration and how to access it.
Shodan is the world’s first search engine for the Internet of Things and a premier provider of Internet intelligence. The Shodan platform allows organizations to monitor their network, assess 3rd-party cyber risk, gather market intelligence, and understand the global Internet landscape in real-time. Our data feeds are consumed by 80+ of the Fortune 100 companies, thousands of universities, and millions of users around the world.
For more information, visit: https://www.shodan.io/.